Wednesday, December 14, 2011

I Miss Copacabana

Copacabana deserves one more blog post. I miss this little cool place, away from everything. I'm writing now from the hostel in La Paz, listening to cars whizzing by, honking horns and splashing up water with their wheels. The city is drenched as it's been raining all day, but even the heavy, wet air cannot get rid of the thick smog that engulfs the city streets. It's been interesting getting to know this city and feeling more and more comfortable here (mostly crossing the street), but I can't say I'll be too sad to see it go. Tomorrow, Monica and I head for Buenos Aires.

In Copacabana: The hole in the rock at La Horca del Inca, an ancient astronomical observatory. Despite its name, it was actually built by the Chiripa people (pre-Inca). On the summer solstice (June 21), a sun beam passes through this hole onto ... (wait for it)

... these two rocks on the left. I'm not sure the exact logistics of it, as there was no one collecting money at the ticket booth, nor any information pamphlets to be had. After doing very minor online research, it seems there used to be many more upright rocks (like the ones on the left), but the Spanish destroyed them while searching for gold.

Self-portrait at the top (Monica didn't come up with me), Copacabana in the background.

Our amazing hostel, Las Olas. Note the enormous round bed and guitar!

One more view of Copacabana. We were encouraged to pick ourselves flowers to have in our room, which we did of course.