|Sunset on the Mekong at the end of the 1st day.|
- Day 1: 6 hour by minivan from Chiang Mai to Chiang Khong (small village on the border with Laos and close to the Golden Triangle, the border between 3 countries: Burma, Thailand and Laos) - sleep in Chiang Khong overnight.
- Day 2: A multistep, multi-transport process:
- minivan from Chiang Khong to the Thai side of the Mekong river
- small boat to cross the river into the Laos side of the river, into the Houei Say village where we did the immigration process.
- pickup truck from the immigration checkpoint to the slow boat loading dock
- 8 hour boat ride to Pak Beng, where we arrived at 6pm and stayed overnight. (the boats can't go during the night because the river is very shallow at this time of the year, there are lots of rocks cropping out of the water and the navigation is often avoiding rocks and shallow spots, or going through rapids.)
We arrived safely in Luang Prabang on the 3rd day in the evening. After spending a few days in this beautiful sleepy town, we are now getting ready to embark on another long voyage: a 24 hour night bus over windy roads, that will take us from Laos to Vietnam.