Wednesday, January 23, 2013

My Roomuseum

I finally finished my Roomuseum–an idea I had about halfway through our trip when I realized I had a growing collection of "artifacts" from the places we visited. 


Before I left on the trip, I didn't know what I was going to bring back with me. I thought I'd buy a pair of Argentinian leather boots or a leather jacket, and I wanted a variety of musical instruments from around the world. In the end, I didn't end up buying the boots or jacket, and the only instrument I bought was the sitar from India. Instead, I was always drawn to the textiles. Besides their inherent beauty, I'm fascinated by the patterns that often identify them with a particular tribe.



So I tacked them up on the walls of my bedroom, adding color and history to my living space. I typed out all the stories I remembered about the items, and put those on the wall, too.


A mask.

And one of me playing around with the mask...



This one's from India.



Much more fun than just throwing all this stuff in a box in the closet.